All times in CST, agenda subject to change
8:45 am - 9:00 am
Welcome and Introduction
- Stacey Paradis, Executive Director, Midwest Energy Efficiency Alliance
9:00 am - 10:00 am
Global Energy Challenges
Discussion on global energy challenges including, but not limited to: climate change as a national security threat; cyber and physical infrastructure vulnerabilities; US government priorities; military preparedness, strategy, and operational energy analysis.
- George Crabtree, Director, Joint Center for Energy Storage Research at Argonne National Laboratory; Director, Energy Initiative at the University of Illinois at Chicago
- Chris Davy, Director for Policy and Public Diplomacy, U.S. Department of State Bureau of Energy Resources
10:00 am - 10:30 am
10:30 am - 11:30 am
Oil, Gas, Coal, and Nuclear
Discussion on domestic and international trends in oil, gas, coal and nuclear industries: impacts on energy dependence and international market; environmental, economic, political, and regulatory considerations.
- Tom Wolf, Director of External Affairs, BP America
- Roger Blomquist, Principal Engineer, Nuclear Engineering, Argonne National Laboratory
11:30 am - 1:00 pm
Veterans in the Energy Workforce, Lunchtime Panel
Discussion with veterans working in the energy workforce on the transition from the military to energy industry and what working in energy means to continued service to the country.
- Victor LaGroon, Director, Chicago Office of Veterans Affairs, City of Chicago (Moderator)
- Kevin Johnson, President, GlidePath Federal Solutions
- Duane Enger, Senior Manager, Origination and Sales, First Solar
1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
Electricity, Grid, Resilience & Security
Discussion on US electric grid functionality, limitations, vulnerabilities; adaption needed for advanced energy systems; international trends in adopting advanced energy and grid upgrades; cyber and physical threats, attacks, and weather related resilience efforts.
- Kristen Brown, Principal Business Technology Specialist, Utility of the Future, ComEd
- Shana Udvardy, Climate Preparedness Specialist, Climate & Energy, Union of Concerned Scientists
2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Renewable Energy, Sustainability, Efficiency, and Technology
Discussion on renewable energy industry trends; overview of domestic and international adoption of wind, solar, hydro, off-shore; sustainability and efficiency principles; technology gaps and investment needs; overview of economic soft power benefits of R&D; R&D investment trends and key research areas.
- Karen Weigert, Senior Fellow, Global Cities, Chicago Council on Global Affairs
- Chris Wheat, Chief Sustainability Officer and Senior Policy Advisor, City of Chicago
- Greg Morin, Director, Office of Strategy, Performance and Risk, Argonne National Laboratory
3:00 pm - 3:30 pm
3:30 pm - 4:30 pm
Veteran Entrepreneurs in Energy Panel
Discussion with military veteran entrepreneurs in the energy, science, and environmental space about their experience with starting their own company and the alignment of military skill sets needed for entrepreneurship.
- Samir Mayekar, Co-Founder and CEO, SiNode Systems (Moderator)
- Elizabeth Perez-Halprin, Founder-President, GC Green Inc
- Michael Kuk, Founder, CERx Solutions LLC
- Thomas Day, Partner, Invent 2026
- Introduction by Andrea Roebker, Regional Communications Director, U.S. Small Business Administration
Depart for Evening Program
Alliance Francaise de Chicago (810 N Dearborn St, Chicago IL 60610)
6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Discussion on adoption of advanced energy solutions to diversify the U.S. economy, increase resilience & reliability, and mitigate the global impacts of climate change. The conversation will feature a segment from the film "The Age of Consequences." Hosted by the Chicago Council on Science and Technology and open to the public. Event website.
- Colonel Greg Douquet (USMC Retired), Nonresident Fellow, Atlantic Council of the US (Moderator)
- Honorable Tom Morehouse, Executive Advisor for the National Renewable Energy Laboratory and Former Assistant Secretary of Defense for Operational Energy, Plans and Programs
- Chris Davy, Director for Policy Analysis and Public Diplomacy, U.S. Department of State Bureau of Energy Resources
"The Age of Consequences" Official Trailer (Vimeo)